Monday, March 11, 2013

Grilled Patty Melt with Sauteed Onions

I don't think it's any secret that I LOVE red meat, haha. So today I was feeling that I needed some kind of meat and potatoes. I love grilled cheese, and I love burgers so why not combine the two into the most delicious grilled cheese burger you've ever had!

Start by adding olive oil and about 1 tablespoon of butter into a medium heat skillet. (You don't necessarily need to add the butter but the color and taste that comes from it on the caramelized onions is pretty yummy!)
Chop up 1 small yellow onion...
Add the onions to the hot skillet and cook until tender and caramelized...
While the onions cook, chop up 2-3 cloves of garlic... With all the onions and garlic I add to my food I sure hope they prevent cancer or make you live a long and beautiful life ;-)
Once the onions are done, remove them from the pan, leaving as many drippings as you can in the pan, and set aside.
Grab your burger meat and throw it into a bowl with your chopped garlic (I used about 1/2 llb of ground beef for two burgers)
Splash in some Worcestershire sauce for rich flavor... maybe about 1 tablespoon...
Salt...
Black pepper...
1/8 cup of panco bread crumbs...
Mix it all together with your hands and form the patties and throw them into the same medium heat skillet you used to saute the onions.
Flip... and cover this time so the meat really cooks through...
While you wait for the burgers to cook... butter 4 pieces of bread (I used fresh rye bread) 
Assemble... bread, butter side down - Swiss cheese - burger - onions - Swiss cheese - bread butter side up!
Flip... wait until golden brown and cheese is nice and oozing... cut and half and serve HOT! ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment