Thursday, April 11, 2013

Fresh Bagels

The more time that I spend in the kitchen baking and cooking, the more I want to challenge myself at new things. This afternoon when I was wanting a bagel for a snack, I realized I was out of bagels. I suddenly thought to myself there must be some way that I can make them myself... haha. So I found a recipe that I thought I could tackle and the process began.
Begin by adding 1 teaspoon sugar to 1/4 oz. yeast in a mixing bowl...
Then drizzle in 1/4 cup warm water and mix with a whisk. Set aside.
In a food processor with the steel blade, add 2 1/2 cups flour and 1 tablespoon of canola oil...
Along with 1 teaspoon of salt... Pulse a few times until well mixed.
Then crack in 1 egg...
Add in the yeast mixture... Put on the lid and drizzle in about 1/2 cup of warm water while the processor is on. Blend until a ball of dough forms...
Remove the dough and place in a greased bowl covered in saran wrap. Let sit for 15 minutes.
When the dough is ready, cut into 12 pieces...
Take each piece and roll it into a 6 inch log...
With a little warm water on hand, roll each log into a doughnut shape and moisten the ends with a little water to seal together.
Place them all on a greased baking sheet and let sit at room temperature for another 15 minutes...
While you wait, add 2 quarts of water to a large pot with 2 tablespoons of sugar... Turn on high to bring to a boil.
This recipe was just for plain bagels but I decided to make everything and jalapeno cheese. So in a small bowl or ramekin, add 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds, and 1 teaspoon of garlic salt...
1 teaspoon of poppy seeds...
And about 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt...
Give it a stir and set aside... You can also chop up some jarred jalapenos and set those aside as well.
As your last preparation, crack and egg into a bowl...
Splash in 2 tablespoons of cold water... whisk together and set aside with a pastry brush.
Turn your oven onto 425 degrees and when the bagels are ready and the water is boiling, slowly add in your bagels of batches of 3 or 4 at a time into the pot.
When they begin to puff up, flip them over for about another 2 minutes...
Place them all back on the greased baking sheet...
Brush with the egg wash...
Sprinkle some with your seasoning...
Top some of them with chopped jalapenos and shredded cheddar cheese...
Place them in the oven for about 25 minutes until nice and crispy and golden brown on the outside. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Enjoy your fresh bagels toasted or as sandwiches or with butter, cream cheese or jelly!

No comments:

Post a Comment