Monday, April 8, 2013

Chicken Enchiladas

After making salsa the other day, Mexican food was on my mind! I couldn't decide what it was that I wanted but when I came across some pictures some enchiladas I knew that is what I wanted. This recipe is a little different than other enchiladas I've had in the past but I love the heat and flavors that come from peppers so I thought I would give it a try!

These enchiladas have about a million steps... but in the end it is worth it I promise! Start by roasting your peppers. If it's too cold to throw them on the grill like it is here, put them on the top rack in the oven under the broiler for a few minutes aside until they are nice and blackened... I used 1 green pepper, 2 jalapenos, 1 Serrano, 3 mini red, and 4 mini yellow.
When they are nice and beautiful like this, remove them from the broiler...
Throw them into a gallon sized zip lock baggy and let the peppers sweat for about 30 minutes or so...
Once the peppers are ready, gut the insides of the peppers and chop them up. Throw them into a bowl and give them a stir and set aside... Preheat your oven to 350 degrees!
Chop up a separate jalapeno.. leaving the guts and seeds inside it...
Then chop up one small yellow onion...
While the peppers were sweating, I took two chicken breasts seasoned with chili powder, cumin, and garlic salt and put them in a medium heat pan with olive oil and cooked them. Now you can take the chicken breasts and shred them with two forks in a bowl...
In the same pan I cooked the chicken in, I threw in the onion and jalapeno with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and cooked until the onions were translucent...
Throw in your shredded chicken...
Pour in 1 cup of heavy cream...
And 1 cup of chicken broth...
Sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon of paprika along with half of the chopped up peppers... stir around and set aside...
Woo hoo! The chicken part is done. Now we can do the creamy cheese mixture that is to die for! Add 4 tablespoons of butter to a medium heat pan...
When the butter is melted, sprinkle in 1/4 cup of flour and quickly whisk together so it doesn't lump. (Sometimes it helps to do this step off heat)
Pour in 2 cups of chicken broth... cook for 2 minutes...
Pour in 1/2 cup of heavy cream... and cook for another 2 minutes...
While you wait, grate 2 1/2 cups of cheese... (I used sharp cheddar)
Sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon of paprika...
Throw in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and stir around until it has melted and is creamy... (Save 1 cup of cheese for later)
Whisk in 1 cup of sour cream...
Finally stir in the remainder of the peppers...
FINALLY! It's time to assemble these bad boys! Warm some corn tortillas in the microwave on a plate until soft... spoon in some of the chicken mixture with a tablespoon of the cheese mixture over the top...
In a baking dish, lay the enchiladas seem side down... tightly pack them in so they hold together...
When the pan is full, drizzle over the remainder of the cheese mixture all over the top! Place in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes.... Serve with salsa and sour cream! ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Now you just need summer for bonfires, mexican food and Sangria...random desire, but now that's all I want. ;) Love you!

    ReplyDelete