Sunday, February 17, 2013

French Onion Soup

As the years go on I have learned that one of my loves in the kitchen is onions. I love them raw on hot dogs and sandwiches, I love them cooked into soups and I love them sauteed with chicken and beef. Today I realized that I've never even tried a french onion soup which is all about the onion! So I decided to give it a try!

Start by melting one stick of unsalted butter in a heavy bottom pot
Next, slice four sweet yellow onions so that they can still be long pieces into the soup.
Then chop up four garlic cloves. (The recipe I found called for two cloves but I love garlic so I doubled it)
Add the chopped garlic and sliced onions into the pot with the butter and give it a stir. 
Add in five fresh thyme sprigs. (The recipe I found called for two however I love it so I added more)
Two bay leaves...
Salt...
Pepper... Give it all a stir and let sit for about 25-30 minutes or until onions are caramelized and soft
While your onions cook, measure out 1 cup of red wine.
You can also prepare your baguettes, I used french bread and cut into thick slices...
Then drizzle with olive oil and stick into the broiler until golden brown on both sides. (When the original side was golden brown I flipped it over and did the other side)
Once your onions are ready add in the wine and stir together. Let cook until the wine has cooked off and the onions are almost dry.
Pull out your baguettes and set aside.
Now that the onions are ready, add in three heaping tablespoons of flour and mix together quickly. Let cook for another 10 minutes.
Add in 1 1/2 quarts of beef broth and 1/2 quart of water. Cover and bring back to a simmer. (The recipe called for 2 quarts of beef broth but I didn't want to lose the taste of the onion so I substituted for some water)
When you are ready to serve, turn on the broiler, ladle soup into an oven safe cup or bowl, place a baguette on top of the cup.
Add on Swiss cheese and place in the broiler. Remove from oven when the cheese is bubbly and just about to brown. Enjoy!!! My first French Onion Soup was delicious!!

1 comment:

  1. French Onion Soup is a favorite of mine and.........it's -20 here today with the windchill. Bummer, I'm missing out that's for sure. Miss and love you.
    Megan

    ReplyDelete