Thursday, July 18, 2013

Gluten Free Spinach & Orzo Salad

I wanted to make a cold orzo salad but I also wanted to throw in some fresh greens with it. I love when salads have lots of color because that usually means they're full of flavor and pretty to look at, haha. Going along with my new gluten free diet this is what I came up with, hope you enjoy!

First I had to find some orzo that was free of gluten...
Get about two quarts of water in a pan and sprinkle in a little sea salt. Bring to a boil.
While you wait, add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a large mixing bowl.
Chop up about 1/4 cup of fresh basil...
Zest one lemon...
Juice one lemon... When your water is boiling throw in about 1/2 lb. of the orzo, bring back to a boil and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
Back to your bowl... Crack in some fresh salt and pepper...
Chop up about 1/4 cup of pitted kalamata olives... Make sure to read the labels I found "Jeff's Naturals" makes all sorts of jarred vegetables gluten free!
 Chop about 1/4 cup of red onion... Throw it all in the bowl and give it a stir.
Next, chop up about 2 garlic cloves... Throw it in a medium heat pan with a little olive oil and brown.
Drain your orzo and run through cold water. Then toss into your bowl.
Once the garlic is browned, toss, oil and all, into your bowl.
Next mix in about 1/4 cup of feta cheese. I used tomato basil flavored gluten free! Delish all on its own!
Finally, toss in some fresh baby spinach! Gently toss it all together! Enjoy cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment