Thursday, June 28, 2012

Whole Wheat Pecan Waffles

Pin It!
My favorite meal has always been breakfast and I would have to say one of my favorites is waffles! I decided to do a twist on what I normally do and try whole wheat flour and add in some walnuts. Here goes nothing!


You can start by finely chopping your pecans to throw in with the wet ingredients.

It's always best to have two separate bowls, one for dry and one for wet ingredients. The recipie that I found for plain whole wheat waffles just told you to mix all the wet ingredients together. When I've made waffles in the past I have always separated the egg yolk from the egg white and folded in the egg white at the end. I decided to go ahead and do that here too.

After you mix all the ingredients together you will notice that your batter is a little lumpier than what you may be used to when making pancakes or waffles. That is okay here because the flour you are using is less fine.

Now put the batter in your waffle iron and cook to your satisfaction in crispyness.
For even more flavor cut fresh bananas to put on top of your waffle with some mapple syrup. Enjoy!


Recipe from Baking Basics: Techniques for Perfect Baking
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon (optional)
banana (optional)

1) Preheat your iron while you make the waffle batter.
2) Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and butter or oil.
4) Mix together the wet and dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.
5) Cook the waffles as directed in the instructions that came with your waffle iron.

1 comment:

  1. No way...You love waffles???? I had no clue ;) Thank you for giving me so much more reading. Looks yummy.
    Love,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete