Thursday, May 31, 2012

Homemade Summer Granola

Pin It!

It's summer time and one of my favorite things to eat is fresh fruit! I thought I would spice up my sliced fruit with some fresh granola and yogurt. I looked through several recipes and picked one that sounded pretty tasty with coconut, walnuts, and maple syrup. The recipe called for vanilla extract but I thought I would try maple extract instead. Guess we will see how it turns out!













I noticed that after I threw in the sugar with oil, maple, and syrup that it was a little thick for tossing so I added an additional tablespoon of oil to moisten it up. Once I added in the maple though the entire kitchen smelled so wonderful I wanted to eat it up right then!


I lined my pan with tin foil so nothing would stick to the pan. As the granola cooked in the oven I decided to go ahead and do the yogurt. I took vanilla yogurt and added some honey and cinnamon and swirled it in. Now as the house begins to smell of fresh maple and my mouth waters... I wait for the finish product!



2 cups oats
1 cup coconut flakes
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbls vegetable oil (I used about 1 extra tbls)
2 tbls maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract (I used maple extract)

 Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
Begin finely chopping your walnuts.
In a large bowl mix chopped walnuts, coconut flakes, and dry oats.
In a smaller bowl, whisk together brown sugar, oil, syrup, and vanilla extract. (This is where I added in an additional tablespoon of oil and substituted vanilla for maple). Once well mixed, drizzle over mixed dry ingredients. (I used my hands to really ensure the mixture was well saturated).
On a cookie sheet with rims (I lined mine with tin foil) spread the mixture flat over the tray. Stick in the oven for 10 minutes and then with a spoon or spatula mix and turn over all the granola. Then stick back in the oven for an additional 20 minutes. Enjoy!

*For my yogurt I used 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of honey and mixed well. Then added warm granola on top with some fresh fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment